Thursday 31 January 2013

X-ray Monoprints

Leaves

I am a bit of a hoarder. Not one of those hard-core hoarders that you see on those tv shows, just a minor hoarder of things that I may be able to use one day in my art.

That's why I have every x-ray I have had taken, plus my husband's and my kid's. Surely that wonderful pliable plastic could be used for something?  I thought of stencils when I packed them away, but yesterday I decided to do some monoprints for my 'L' letter of the week. Of course when I decide to do something I want to do it NOW! Not tomorrow, not in a few hours and not even in 10 minutes, but NOW!  So I was madly searching for a surface to roll out my paint on when I thought of my x-rays. 

Beautiful! I chopped it to size, rolled out black water mixable oil colour. laid down some rice paper and free handed some gum leaves on the paper. Peeled back the paper to reveal the print below, which I later applied a watercolour wash to.


Here are some others that I printed but left as is.  I love the texture left by the paint on the x-ray.  In some places you can see the slide marks made by the brayer.




The print below, I drew straight onto the paint laden x-ray, laid the rice paper gently on top of the x-ray and lightly pressed the paper onto the x-ray with the side of my hand.




What a fun afternoon!  














2 comments:

  1. I love how this type of printing is so spontaneous, whereas other printing methods can be so step by multi-step drawn out. Looking forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too Vicki, it's quick but still has that 'print' look.

      Delete